Here is an impressive list of Silverlight 4 features that the Facebook application leverages:
- Out-of-browser support—fully trusted with offline capability
- Hosting HTML content interactively—with a number of Facebook like features you’d expect
- Local Device access (webcam)—Add a photo to a FB post using your web camera on your computer
- Rich-Text control—distributed throughout the application
- Embedding alternative media content—all video in FB can be played in the application
- Desktop notifications—for status updates, etc.
- COM integration (with Microsoft Outlook) on the Windows platform—Outlook integration with FB events and generating emails
- Right-click—to uninstall the application and the outlook example above.
- Drag-n-drop—pictures straight from your computer to the application
- Window control—distributed throughout the application
- Animations–and let’s face it—what good XAML based app doesn’t have gratuitous animations
FYI: I am just getting around to installing this and will have a follow-up post shortly.